Attitude is Power
"I've come to the frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element in the MOMENT. It is my personal approach that creates the climate. It is my daily mood that makes the weather. AS AN INDIVIDUAL, I possess tremendous power to make SOMEONE'S life miserable or joyous .
I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration. I can humiliate or humor, hurt or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis will be escalated or deescalated and that PERSON humanized or dehumanized.
Haim Ginott [as edited by Mare because I think it relates to everyone and every situation....Think about it.]
Here is the original quote which we received as teachers, and I found it to be so profound that I kept it by my desk to remind myself to be aware of 'POWER'...
I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration. I can humiliate or humor, hurt or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis will be escalated or deescalated and that PERSON humanized or dehumanized.Haim Ginott [as edited by Mare because I think it relates to everyone and every situation....Think about it.]
Here is the original quote which we received as teachers, and I found it to be so profound that I kept it by my desk to remind myself to be aware of 'POWER'...
Labels: What do you think?





10 Comments:
I really like this Mare, you're right it can apply to parent or president too for that matter.
By
Christine, At
February 24, 2012 at 11:49 AM
I made a decision New Year's to find my center and to try to stay in it. I have been dealing with the stress and pain better and have been less short tempered...this is very hopeful for me so I agree..but I am a work in progress...hugs..
By
RamblingWoods2.com, At
February 24, 2012 at 12:02 PM
Very inspirational. I always like reading your post, but todays really will helpful in all I have to do.
Former MOW
By
Anonymous, At
February 24, 2012 at 12:27 PM
good reminder, kindness is always better even with bullies or obnoxious people...act don't react
By
Great Grandma Lin, At
February 24, 2012 at 1:00 PM
...or Presidential candidates...
lv
By
Anonymous, At
February 24, 2012 at 1:44 PM
I know the truth in this, but I also know how hard it was sometimes back in those classroom days to always take the high ground. It still is.
By
Linda Reeder, At
February 24, 2012 at 10:15 PM
I already know that you're the type of person who has spread love and happiness everywhere you went, Mare. You are my idol.
By
Kay, At
February 25, 2012 at 1:34 AM
Love the post, Mare. It is so true! This is so inspiring, thanks for sharing it and thanks for the reminder.
I’m just stopping in to say good evening to you. I hope you have a good week!
By
dellgirl, At
February 25, 2012 at 10:25 PM
I always liked Haim Ginott. I guess you know when a teacher was around in the 70's if they knew about him.
I agree with the quote you used. We have a great deal of power. I recently heard of it is our ability to see ourselves as people of influence or as victims that determines how we see ourselves. So true...
By
Sally Wessely, At
February 25, 2012 at 10:46 PM
Great post!!! Thanks for coming by!! A good attitude can get a body through anything as I know all too well.
By
Kay Dennison, At
February 26, 2012 at 12:48 PM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home