A Boss's Day Tribute
I came across an ad today for Boss's Day, and it brought back some memories of the many, varied, and unusual gifts and tributes that we [as a school faculty] provided to our fearless leader, the principal. Over the years, there were cards and chocolate covered cherries [our ..pal's favorite]. Some occasions involved a breakfast before school where everyone brought in a dish to pass or muffins/doughnuts/cookies and juices, etc. I remember one year we put a plant on his desk, and another time that a tie with a kid oriented theme was our gift. But my favorite Boss's Day occasion involved a surprise practical joke, and it was quite memorable...even to this day it brings a smile when reminising.
The occasion called for something new and different, colorful and extraordinary, acceptable and yet funny...very funny.
There was a florist that had as one of its services where you could send a singing telegram delivered by either a giant gorilla or a big bird...like the Philadelphia Chicken. The staff all chipped in and arranged to have the bird deliver our Happy Boss's Day Greeting at the morning faculty meeting.
So picture it: the principal has the normal faculty meeting in progress as everyone in the room is anticipating the arrival of our surprise. All of a sudden, this 6 ft. big yellow feathered bird races in the door carrying a handful of helium baloons.
The bird scans the room and squalks out, "Is it someone's birthday?"
And he answers his own question, "No-ooooo!"
"Why am I here? It's Boss's Day and I have these balloons for the person of honor!!
Who would that be?"
The look on Dave's face was priceless, and the laughter that erupted from everyone[except, of course, Dave who was stunned and caught totally off guard] was such wonderful laughter therapy. Now we certainly had a good sport leading us, and so as we brought him some good sport on this Boss's Day, it was definitely a memorable faculty meeting. And one that was enjoyed by all! Happy Boss's Day, Dave! And if I were you, I wouldn't be answering my door today...You may be retired, but we know where you live!!!
The occasion called for something new and different, colorful and extraordinary, acceptable and yet funny...very funny.
There was a florist that had as one of its services where you could send a singing telegram delivered by either a giant gorilla or a big bird...like the Philadelphia Chicken. The staff all chipped in and arranged to have the bird deliver our Happy Boss's Day Greeting at the morning faculty meeting.
So picture it: the principal has the normal faculty meeting in progress as everyone in the room is anticipating the arrival of our surprise. All of a sudden, this 6 ft. big yellow feathered bird races in the door carrying a handful of helium baloons.
The bird scans the room and squalks out, "Is it someone's birthday?"

And he answers his own question, "No-ooooo!"
"Why am I here? It's Boss's Day and I have these balloons for the person of honor!!
Who would that be?"
The look on Dave's face was priceless, and the laughter that erupted from everyone[except, of course, Dave who was stunned and caught totally off guard] was such wonderful laughter therapy. Now we certainly had a good sport leading us, and so as we brought him some good sport on this Boss's Day, it was definitely a memorable faculty meeting. And one that was enjoyed by all! Happy Boss's Day, Dave! And if I were you, I wouldn't be answering my door today...You may be retired, but we know where you live!!!


4 Comments:
it's great to have fun bosses at work whatever it is. unfortunately I had three bosses in my elementary school teaching days that I'd rather forget about-very critical and non-supportive. Oh well, I'm retired now and learned from the experience...
By
Great Grandma Lin, At
October 16, 2008 at 4:27 PM
what a great thing to do
just from your description I could feel how much fun it was
By
Dianne, At
October 16, 2008 at 11:11 PM
We had a "Happy Bosses Day" potty in the men's room for our boss. There were balloons and potty hats made of rolls of toilet paper. Is that gross enough? And a cake sitting on the crepe paper covered toilet tank? eeeyyuu, urp, gag.
But the look on his face WAS priceless! And we had one heck of a good time that afternoon.
I'd forgotten about that until I read your blog. Let me think... should I thank you for bringing it back to me? Oh sure I should. The older I get the more I realize that memories are the only things worth keeping. Good, bad and everywhere in between...and this is a good memory.
By
wispy willow, At
October 18, 2008 at 12:18 AM
I had a boss like that when I first started teaching and then a long series of real jerks both male and female....
By
RamblingWoods2.com, At
October 18, 2008 at 1:14 PM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home