Formally known as 'the bad cat'...

This is Scout! She is catching some rays on a hot summer day.
I have decided that what is said about 'birth order' for people[that it may affect your life based upon your position of first born, middle child, only child, or the baby], is also true for cats.
Scout is now an 'only cat' since June 27th, and I have noticed some changes in her behavior. She is more visible and overtly more affectionate. I have always understood Scout better than others, and the recipient of her leg hugs.
When there were two cats...Wease was such a phenomonal companion. She was a striking calico, pretty mellow, and wasn't afraid of strangers be it animal or people. And she could be counted on to be sociable. She would let you rub her belly and it was ok. .. For good reason, she was referred to as 'the good cat' to my mom because I knew that Wease was a safe lapmate.
Scout, a black/grey/white striped cat, walks to.. her drumbeat is the one to be acknowledged [unless you are a stranger and then she hides]. She 'talks' at various times of the day and will converse with you if you answer her. When it is time to eat, she will let you know by scratching the braided rug in the living room until I feed her. She and the dog will eat each other's food...not sure if they both like the taste of each other's food, or they are both trying to starve the other!! I used to think she was a dog in a cat's body because she would chase a plastic water bottle cap, retrieve it, and drop it at your feet so that it could be thrown again!!But, if you get in her space and she feels the need to defend herself, she will take a swat at you. She commands respect on her terms, and for many reasons, she was referred to as 'the bad cat.'
But now, she is the only cat. And she doesn't seem to be as bad. I see definite changes in her - she wants more contact and appears to be more sociable.
Is it because she no longer walks in the shadow of the WonderCat...or does she no longer have to live up to her former 'bad cat' image? ...
Since she is now 'the cat.'
Labels: pets


9 Comments:
lucky her being the only cat. i'm the only child but it's lonely without brothers and sisters...
By
Great Grandma Lin, At
July 23, 2008 at 9:44 PM
My sister (a vet) says that there are some cats that are "onlys"..maybe yoour cat was waiting for the chance. I had two cats who really didn't like each other for over 15 years. Now, I have two brothers and they get along well...
By
RamblingWoods2.com, At
July 23, 2008 at 10:40 PM
Oh, there are so many parallels here to children...
I'm glad Only Cat and you have arrived at a closer relationship. It's her turn.
By
Linda Reeder, At
July 23, 2008 at 10:58 PM
Love the story! I never liked cats because my great-great grandmother had one when we were kids and it was always chasing us, traumatized me I guess. My kids got one when they were little and I got to like them better - - until one day I find it on top of the kitchen cabinet - - eating dinner. It became an outside kitty.
By
dellgirl, At
July 23, 2008 at 11:59 PM
As an oldest child I cannot really understand being in another place in order. I always thought I had way too much responsibility, while my younger sisters likely thought I was way too bossy. I hadn't thought about cats having some of the same characteristics.
I'm not really a pet person. Animals around the house in my youth were working members of the family--herding sheep or cattle, or catching mice. Dogs were never taken for a drive sitting on a lap, nor were cats given free run of the house.
Funny how perceptions work. Lin wanted brothers and sisters, and many times I was sick of taking care of mine.
By
Jo, a retired teacher, At
July 24, 2008 at 12:37 AM
I not only thoroughly enjoyed this post (thanks Mare) I enjoyed the comments. Sounds like your cat likes being the star of the show. but then... don't we all.
By
wispy willow, At
July 24, 2008 at 1:45 PM
I loved reading about your cats, Mare. Actualy, I'm not a big cat person, but I like yours.
My mom really didn't care for cats because they kept digging their poop into her gravel and dirt garden. Finally, my son said she should just put out a poop box for it and it worked. Now the cat (our favorite neighbor's) comes to use her toilet and stays out of the garden. AND the added benefit is that she keeps the mice away. :-)
Excellent!
By
Kay, At
July 24, 2008 at 4:11 PM
Perhaps its possible that Scout and Wease were friends and companions when no human was looking, and now Scout misses wease terribly, and is forced to seek out her companionship needs from those heretofore tolerated humans. Perhaps Scout is sad missing her and as a result needs a little more love. She's grieving ;-( Just a thought. love you much, Kate
By
Anonymous, At
July 24, 2008 at 6:41 PM
Okay MA this is also very cute and interesting to read
By
Anonymous, At
July 29, 2008 at 5:38 PM
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home